Monday 16 September 2024

Great Rock/Metal Albums of 1984: Bon Jovi

 

Before I launch into the debut album by a band considered to be a symbol for 1980s hard rock and heavy metal, I thought I first begin by naming four more films of 1984 I missed. Two of them I can't believe I did and two of them starred comedian Eddie Murphy.

[caption id="attachment_4216" align="aligncenter" width="182"] Beverly Hills Cop was considered to be on a par with Ghostbusters at the time.[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4217" align="aligncenter" width="183"] Conan the Destroyer with Arnie Schwartzeneger was a big let down in comparison with the first film[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4218" align="aligncenter" width="275"] Another children's favourite, Gremlins. Thanks to keepsmealive for bringing it to light for me.[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_4219" align="aligncenter" width="182"] Hot Dog- about freestyle skiing had its funny moments.[/caption]

There was a fifth film called Best Defense with Eddie Murphy and Dudley Moore which was okay but just okay.

Now onto the self-titled debut from Bon Jovi. While I have always liked this album, at the time, I thought it was nothing spectacular. Yes, the single that got them on MTV, "Runaway," was very good, probably still one of my favourite Bon Jovi jams, even if one friend of mine considered it to sound too much like Rick Springfield. Furthermore, I felt exactly the same way when I saw them open for The Scorpions in this year. I thought they weren't bad but not anything phenomenal.

Like all Bon Jovi albums, when I listen to it, I ask myself the question why Bon Jovi are considered heavy metal. True, there are some hard rocking songs on the album and there was the potential for more had not the keyboards been too heavy on them. The tracks I'm talking about are "Burning For Love" and the second single, "She Don't Know Me." The latter officially became the first song I liked on account of the video for it. Had I heard it on the radio or the album, I wouldn't have liked it so much. The former does have a great guitar solo on it though.

On the other hand, there are some decent rockers on the album in addition to "Runaway." "Love Lies" is definitely one of those. Whenever I listen to it, I remember why I have always held the guitar abilities of one Richie Sambora in such high regards. He does shine here. "Breakout" can't make up its mind as to whether it wants to be a rocker or not. I do like the standard keyboard intro followed by the thunder of the guitar. However, the keyboards come back in and take over a little too much in some places. The song sounds like a power struggle between the hard rock and commercial sounds. The decider is again, another good guitar solo from Richie. I have always said that a good closing song can do wonders for an album and "Get Ready" does that job well on the album. It is a strong rocker which ends things quite well. Plus, it gets some good support from the penultimate track.

Track Listing:

  1. Runaway
  2. Roulette
  3. She Don't Know Me
  4. "Shot Through the Heart
  5. Love Lies
  6. Breakout
  7. Burning For Love
  8. Come Back
  9. Get Ready
[caption id="attachment_4220" align="aligncenter" width="290"] Bon Jovi[/caption]

Jon Bon Jovi- lead vocals, rhythm guitar

Richie Sambora- lead guitar, backing vocals

Dave Bryan- keyboards, backing vocals

Alec John Such- bass, backing vocals

Tico Torres- drums, percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgJe9cnCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86K-p089R8

Now here's the big question I am going to explore on all my Bon Jovi posts in the future. Someone once commented that Bon Jovi represented everything that was wrong with heavy metal in the 1980s. What? I never thought there was anything wrong with metal back then. It's something I'm going to investigate though. Thinking back to 1984 and this debut album, I certainly wasn't thinking that. Then, I would never have thought that the band would go onto achieve so much.

Next post: Accept- Balls to the Wall

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment