Monday 19 August 2024

Some Great Movies From 1984

 Not only was I a big music fan back in 1984, as I am today, I was also a great cinema buff, unlike today. Posting about those two soundtracks from said year threw my mind back to some of the other great and not so great films I got to see in 1984. They may not have had soundtracks I wanted to listen to but most of them were good films or at least a good source of amusement. Therefore, in regards to the golden year of heavy metal, I thought I'd list the films I saw that year.

[caption id="attachment_4194" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Ghost Busters[/caption]

This was probably the most popular film in 1984. It's theme song, sung by Ray Parker Jr, got a lot of play on MTV. Never cared much for the song but I did like this film as I was a fairly big Bill Murray fan at the time.

[caption id="attachment_4195" align="aligncenter" width="183"] Karate Kid was probably the second most popular film in 1984[/caption]

In spite of the above, I never accepted the proposition that all the blonde haired, blue eyed teenage boys in Southern California were all karate experts.

[caption id="attachment_4196" align="aligncenter" width="292"] Ghost Busters might have been the most popular film, but The Terminator was my favourite.[/caption]

"I'll be back" has been a very popular catchphrase from the film. However, my favourite part was when the hotel landlord asks, "Do you got dead cats in there?" Robot Arnie's brain flashes possible responses and he chooses, "Fuck you asshole."

[caption id="attachment_4197" align="aligncenter" width="189"] Hyped up to be the final chapter of the Friday the 13th series. No surprise it wasn't.[/caption]

These were considered the big films of the year but there were many more out there.

[caption id="attachment_4200" align="aligncenter" width="183"] The Keep: Nazi soldiers are killed in a haunted castle[/caption]

This was the first film I went to in 1984.

[caption id="attachment_4199" align="aligncenter" width="271"] DC Cab: Mr T stars in a film about an on the rocks cab firm.[/caption]

This was the second

[caption id="attachment_4201" align="aligncenter" width="184"] Angel: High school honour student by day, Hollywood hooker by night.[/caption]

There were some really funny quips in this film. Example: When Angel's transvestite friend opens the door to the killer, he asks, "Who does your hair, dickface?"

[caption id="attachment_4202" align="aligncenter" width="182"] Tank: A soldier uses a tank to rescue his wrongly convicted son from a redneck prison.[/caption]

I had been out of the marines only nine months when I saw this film so I was able to identify all the military inaccuracies.

[caption id="attachment_4203" align="aligncenter" width="259"] Patrick Swayze leads a bunch of high schoolers against the invading Communist armies.[/caption]

This film was definitely made to encourage America to accept Reagan's Contra war in Nicaragua.

[caption id="attachment_4204" align="aligncenter" width="182"] Thief of Hearts: A burglar breaks into a home and discovers the wife's diaries. He uses them to seduce her.[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4205" align="aligncenter" width="183"] Starman: An alien world accepts Voyager 2's invitation to visit Earth.[/caption]

This was the last film I went to see in 1984.

Naturally, there were many more movies in 1984 but these were the ones I went to the cinema to see. That seems to be what I was doing when I wasn't headbanging away. What films did you all see and like?

Next post: Bon Jovi

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment