Tuesday 13 August 2024

Great Soundtracks of 1984: Streets of Fire

 

Unlike "Footloose" the soundtrack to the film "Streets of Fire" went with virtually unknown or less known artists, at least for the time. It would be six months to a year before I would hear about The Fixx. The only others I had heard of were Ry Cooder and The Blasters and I'll get to them in a minute. Stevie Nicks does write and sing backing vocals on the Marilyn Martin track, "Sorcerer" but for the most part, the artists were virtually unknown to me at the time. However, I would take this soundtrack over that of "Footloose." Quiet Riot, Foreigner and Sammy Hagar weren't quite enough to tip it past "Streets of Fire" in my eyes.

Before I get onto the soundtrack, let me provide a little background about the film, which was slammed mercilessly by most critics. The 23 year old me in 1984 thought this film was okay. I mean it was the 1980s where one shot from a gun could set off multiple massive explosions and men settled their differences with sledgehammers. What wasn't there to like? However, as I grew older, I realized how surreal the movie was almost bordering on the ridiculous.

"Streets of Fire" is about a famous rock singer named Ellen Aim who gets kidnapped by a motorcycle gang, led by a guy named Raven played Willem Dafoe, while performing a gig in her home town. Without going into great detail, Ellen is rescued by former boyfriend Tom with the help of an ex-army girl named McCoy played by Amy Madigan. After many explosions and action sequences where they receive aid from an all black doo-wop band called the Sorrells, Tom and Raven have their predictable show down at the end. First with the fore-mentioned sledgehammers and then with fists. Therefore, Dafoe gets his ass kicked twice. Other little details include Rick Moranis, playing the usual nerd but this time it's in a serious role as Ellen Aim's manager and current boyfriend. His best line in the film is, "It's the shits." He says it several times and his performance, while good, never made me think that doing "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" was a bad career move. The best performance was by Amy Madigan who did receive a nomination for best supporting actress, so I'm not just saying it because Mrs. 80smetalman is a huge Amy Madigan fan.

[caption id="attachment_4186" align="aligncenter" width="209"] Amy Madigan as McCoy[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4187" align="aligncenter" width="265"] Rick Moranis as Ellen Aim's manager. "It's the shits."[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4188" align="aligncenter" width="199"] Willem Dafoe as Raven. Note the pvc dungarees.[/caption]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoxYbIEZEg

Okay, the film wasn't Oscar material but that doesn't stop it from having a rather cool soundtrack. When it first came out, MTV plugged the film by constantly playing the video from the first single, Fire Inc's "Tonight Is What it Means to Be Young." I do really like the song which was probably why it didn't go anywhere in the charts. The most successful song as far as chart success was "I Can Dream About You" by Dan Hartman. It is a good song but the irony here is that in the film, the song is performed by The Sorrells. Back in 1984 many people were amazed that a song performed by a black quartet in the film was actually sung by a white man. I think it's great we're more wiser about these things nowadays.

[caption id="attachment_4189" align="aligncenter" width="207"] Dan Hartman[/caption] [caption id="attachment_4190" align="aligncenter" width="300"] The Sorrells in Streets of Fire[/caption]

While all the songs I've mentioned are good ones, for me, it's the rockabilly songs that make this soundtrack. The two tracks by The Blasters are the best songs here and "Hold That Snake" by Ry Cooder gets the bronze. All three of these tracks are just really damn cool and the soundtrack wouldn't be nearly as good without them. For the record, the song by The Fixx, while good as well, didn't have me wanting to check out future material without hearing it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo63jMvDEK0

So, is "Streets of Fire" a bad film with a really cool soundtrack? Well, it's not a bad film, but it does have a killer soundtrack.

Next post: Great and Not So Great Movies of 1984

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment