Sunday 21 July 2024

Great Rock Albums of 1984: Chicago- 17

 

I'd like to thank Rich for this one. If he hadn't posted about Chicago's 11th album from 1977, I would not have remember that the band had a really good album in 1984. Thank you Rich for jogging my memory here. Once my memory got into full swing, I remember that there was a song on this album I really liked. That was the opening track, "Stay the Night," which I remember most because of the very amusing video got played quite a bit on MTV during the summer.

Reflections from my old age, I now realize that Chicago deserves more credit for "17" than what they actually received. There were two camps in 1984. Most bands were either going down the synth pop road or heading in a more harder direction. Chicago didn't go down either road. Instead, they stuck with the same formula that made them so successful throughout the 1970s. Their fusion of soft rock and jazz influences work just as well on this album as they had on all of their previous ones. That is precisely why Chicago was my 'not guilty pleasure' in the mid 1980s.

Proof of what I'm talking about can be traced to the success of "17." There were four singles, including my favourite track mentioned above, the best known of these was the ballad, "Hard Habit to Break." Sure, it's no where near a heavy metal power ballad but it's a good song anyway. Just as successful was the track "You're My Inspiration" which did just as well in the singles charts as "Hard Habit to Break." The fourth single is probably the hardest rock song on the album, "Along Comes a Woman." Guitarists Bill Champlin and Chris Pinnick deliver on the guitar on the track and the other instruments do well in support. It has a definite catchy vibe and that makes it my second favourite track. Of course, it wouldn't be me if there weren't any non single songs on the album to like. "We Can Stop the Hurting" takes the prize here as it is a definite reminder that Chicago were not about to compromise with their sound. "Remember the Feeling" does come closer to being a power ballad as there is some hard guitar in the background and a fairly decent solo on it. With some really great tracks to close, this album was just like anything you found on any Chicago album throughout the band's history.

Track listing:

  1. Stay the Night
  2. We Can Stop the Hurtin'
  3. Hard Habit to Break
  4. Only You
  5. Remember the Feeling
  6. Along Comes a Woman
  7. You're My Inspiration
  8. Please Hold On
  9. Prima Donna
  10. Once in a Lifetime
Chicago

Peter Cetera- bass, lead and backing vocals

Bill Champlin- guitars, keyboards, lead and backing vocals

Robert Lamm- keyboards, lead and backing vocals

Lee Loughnane- trumpet

James Pankow- trombone, horn arrangements

Walter Perazaider- woodwinds

Chris Pinick- guitar

Danny Seraphine- drums

The reason why I considered Chicago to be my not guilty pleasure from the 1980s was down to the fact that by then, I was a total metalhead. Chicago are definitely not metal but I've always liked their softer version of rock, especially in the 70s. So there was no reason why I shouldn't have carry it over into the next decade.

Next post: Roger Hodgson- In the Eye of the Storm

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment