Saturday 1 June 2024

Great One Hit Wonders and Other Significant Song of 1984

 Its that time again where I look at some of the one hit wonders of the year I am visiting. There were some interesting ones in 1984 with others who were wrongly considered such by the so called mainstream public. Some great heavy metal acts fell under this misbelief. So without further ado, let's start with what was the most successful hit, "Missing You" by John Waite.

[caption id="attachment_4119" align="aligncenter" width="198"] John Waite[/caption]

What I couldn't believe was that after doing a bit of research, that John Waite had a pretty impressive discography. However, the only song I and many others will remember him for would be this great soft rock ballad that went to number one. Although many metalheads wouldn't admit it back then, they did like it. It can be found on quite a few soft rock compilation albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90

[caption id="attachment_4120" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Dwight Twilley[/caption]

The next one comes from American songwriter Dwight Twilley. He had been around for years as I have learned but he is best known for his 1984 top 20 hit "Girls." This mid tempo rock tune takes me back to the time when the build up to the metal explosion in 1984 was just about to happen. I haven't heard this song for years but listening to it for the purposes of research was very pleasant. I wonder if this one is on any compilation albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7ykctLEW4

[caption id="attachment_4121" align="aligncenter" width="274"] Dog Police[/caption]

In 1984, MTV had a monthly segment called "Basement Video." The premise was six videos from unsigned artists would be played and the winner would go onto the grand final. In January, a video from a Memphis Tennessee outfit called Dog Police won with their self titled single. I even phone up and voted for it. What I remember about them was that upon the introduction to the video it was said that Dog Police wanted to become the Frank Zappa of music video. Unfortunately, that never happened and they only finished fourth in the grand final. Still, it's a great video and song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0359hSerDeE

[caption id="attachment_4122" align="aligncenter" width="150"] Rick Derringer[/caption]

All I know for sure with this next one was that I first heard the song  "I Play Guitar" by Rick Derringer in 1984 when I saw the video for said song. I loved it straight away! Now, I'm not sure if this song actually came out in this year but because 84 was when I first heard it, I'm including it here just because it's such a kick ass song. Before this, I had only heard how great a guitarist Rick was but this song proved it. And because I can't find the official MTV video on Youtube, you get this really cool live version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuFiHNxjjE

Naff song of 1984

[caption id="attachment_4124" align="aligncenter" width="259"] Tracey Ulman[/caption]

In the eyes of most of the world, Tracey Ulman is a brilliant comedy actress. I love her wit. But in 1984, she put an album and MTV treated the world to the single from it, "They Don't Know." I had the misfortune of hearing it on the car radio a couple of months ago. The song is totally naff, with a 1960s pop feel and even the guitar solo sounds naff. Don't worry, I won't inflict it upon you, my readers, but rest assured, I am glad that she stuck to comedy. The rest of the world is probably glad too. However, I can identify with her sense of humour with the title of her album "You Broke My Heart in 17 Places." I have this habit of picking out numbers like that.

Next post: Music News of 1984

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment