Monday 15 April 2024

Great Rock Albums of 1984: Toto- Isolation

 

It is probably the case that "Isolation" is most likely my favourite Toto album was the reason that it didn't do as well as its predecessors in the charts. Some would say one reason why I like it more was down to the fact that it doesn't have any cheesy singles like "Rosanna" or "Africa." I never thought either of those songs were to begin with. That accolade goes to "99" in my opinion. Besides, "Rosanna" has a really cool guitar solo on it. Additionally, there are no songs on "Isolation" that would be called 'party killing' tunes in the realm of Wayne's World.

[caption id="attachment_324" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Wayne puts 'Any song by Toto' as number 2 on his party killing tunes list.[/caption]

Now, some may say that the single, "Stranger in Town," from this album is slightly cheesy. Again, I don't agree, I've always liked it. In fact, it is my second favourite Toto song. "Hold the Line" remains number one. If there be cheese, Toto do what they normally do and hide any cheese behind some good musicianship. There is plenty of that to be heard on the song and every other track on the album. "Stranger in Town" is the third track on the album following two rather good tunes. I also really like the track that comes after, "Angels Don't Cry." There is some good guitar work and it reminds me of late 1970s Styx or Kansas in the sense there are some crunching guitars backed up by some cool but not dominating keyboard playing. The same can be said for "Endless." Even the more keyboard dominated tracks are done very well with some good guitar solos in them. I never bought the critics claim that "Isolation" was a Journey clone. Where did they get that one from?

The new event which occurred on this album was that it was the first one to feature Fergie Frederiksen on lead vocals who replaced Bobby Kimball after the band terminated his services. I never knew what lead to the switch in singers but I've never bothered to find out. Admittedly, I didn't even know they had a new singer until I looked on the credits of the album. However, Bobby Kimball still provides backing vocals on three or four of the songs.

Track Listing:

  1. Carmen
  2. Lion
  3. Stranger in Town
  4. Angels Don't Cry
  5. How Does it Feel
  6. Endless
  7. Isolation
  8. Mr Friendly
  9. Change of Heart
  10. Holyanna
[caption id="attachment_4090" align="aligncenter" width="279"] Toto[/caption]

Fergie Frederiksen- lead and backing vocals

Steve Lukather- guitars, backing vocals, lead vocal on "How Does it Feel"

David Paich- keyboards, backing vocals, orchestral arrangements, lead vocals on "Stranger in Town" and "Holyanna," co-lead vocals on "Carmen"

Steve Procraro- keyboards, electric sounds

Mike Procraro- bass

Jeff Procraro- drums, pecussion

Bobby Kimball- backing vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeldKAqM-w

Back in 1984, Toto's "Isolation" album was my come down a little bit album after listening to three or four metal albums on the trot. The great progressive rock musicianship that comes out of the speakers when it's played was the reason why. I didn't think about it then but for me, I've come to the conclusion that after the demise of both Styx and Kansas in 1984, this album was the progressive album that carried that sound on.

Next post: Molly Hatchet- The Deed is Done

To buy Rock and Roll Children, email me at: tobychainsaw@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment